Pages

09 April 2011

Litter Box Inspection

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="640" caption="Raven inspects the litter box for cleanliness"]
[/caption]

Other than a friend complimenting us on some aspect of our pets, the next best thing we appreciate hearing is that our house doesn't smell like pets live there. For cat owners, litter box smell is always a concern.

Last night my husband brought a friend by on short notice. He called ahead and said they would be there in a few minutes, so I had enough time to tidy up the litter boxes and sweep the scattered litter from the bathroom floor. I had already emptied the trash so there wasn't any used litter to take outside.

Sure enough, our friend visited the bathroom. Usually people don't say anything good or bad, but he congratulated me on having a bathroom that didn't have any litter box odors. His kids have turtles, so he knows about animal smells and how offensive they can become if you don't keep up on the cleaning.


I happily take compliments for keeping a clean litter box area because it is something I put a fair amount of effort into. I scoop the boxes at least twice a day and use a Lysol wipe to clean any dirt from the edges of the box. If Raven or Sammi soils the box with solid waste when we're home, I scoop as soon as I realize they've used the box so there are no odors making their way through the house. When I notice there's litter dust on the wall, baseboards, or cabinet fronts, I wash them too.


I admit there's a bit of luck in having an odor free house. If one of the cats had used the box just before our friend used the bathroom, I'm sure there would have been some odors. But that's different than having a room where offensive odors have permeated every nook and cranny.


Keeping clean litter boxes is easy if you tidy up on a daily basis and everyone, both cats and humans, appreciates it.

No comments:

Post a Comment